Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The Compliance Associate will support the Compliance Director in the development and implementation of strategies, policies, and procedures to enable Creative to mitigate ongoing and potential risks to the organization by focusing on issues related to risk management, internal controls, process improvement, export control/trade compliance, and more effective field operations. The Associate supports the Compliance Director in identifying current and potential risk factors in Creative’s operations and assists in the development and implementation of plans to address them. The position supports the Compliance Director in ensuring that management and employees are in compliance with the rules and regulations of regulatory agencies, that company policies and procedures are being followed, and that behavior in the organization meets the company’s Standards of Conduct. In addition, the Compliance Associate will contribute and assist in the strategic business development that helps to position Creative for future growth, expansion, and diversification.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Compliance Associate will report to the Compliance Director.
- Provide exceptional and comprehensive support to the compliance department Creative and act as the first point of contact for all compliance inquiries and all compliance-oriented operational issues.
- Provide exceptional organizational and administrative support to the compliance department by tightening procedures around the production and distribution of key documents, such as standards of conduct, policies and procedures manuals, creating a comprehensive profile of all "templates" for the compliance department’s key documents, and continuing to develop systematic ways to keep track of all of Creative’s sensitive compliance documents.
- In coordination with the Compliance Director, develop and conduct regular trainings on HQ compliance policies and best practices.
- Assists in the development, implementation, maintenance, and revision of policies and procedures for the operation of the Compliance Program and its related activities to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct.
- Provides assistance to the export control/trade compliance function; including company-wide export control policies and procedures, and analysis of individual projects and technologies for compliance with federal export control regulations.
- Supports efforts around capacity-building and ensuring that tools and templates meet program implementation needs.
- Conducts research on changes within the industry through resource sites, publications, and continuing education to support the Compliance Director.
- Assists in maintaining up to date resource library for staff to use, and assists in preparations for training and refresher sessions on pertinent topics.
- Supports the implementation by other units of documentation and record retention processes to ensure compliance of operations in presence countries as required.
- Assists in reviewing program operations materials to ensure compliance is addressed, including procurement policies, procurement selection guidance, compliance standards for program management, agreements review and negotiation process, sub-award management process, review of start-up and close out procedures, and other materials as applicable; participates in meetings as required with Program Directors, Chiefs of Party, and/or Team Leaders to assist in identifying and supporting any outstanding compliance issues.
- Assists in compliance reviews/audits of HQ and field offices, as well as external audits.
- Collaborates with other departments and divisions to direct compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution.
- Supports response to alleged violations of rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and Standards of Conduct by assisting in the evaluation of initiating investigative procedures.
- Supports the roll-out, training, and implementation of revised processes, policies, templates and other guidance documents.
- Assists in reporting on a regular and timely basis concerning compliance efforts.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in an area relevant to this employment opportunity;
- 4 years of prior relevant work experience; preferably working with U.S. government-funded contracts, grants and/or cooperative agreements with understanding of field management and operational issues.
- Courteous and professional manner; multicultural sensitivity; must be able to maintain a calm and professional attitude at all times;
- Proven ability to use sound and accurate judgment to resolve problems;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Excellent communication and analytical skills;
- Solid organizational and administrative skills;
- Ability to work well in a team environment and to multi-task under tight deadlines;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team;
- Flexibility to work with various units and teams across Creative Associates;
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft programs (excel, power point, MS project, etc).
- Able and willing to travel internationally.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience conducting internal investigations;
- Proficiency in Spanish, French or Arabic, a plus.